There are major differences between the doctrine of Jehovah’s witness and Christianity. We will list these beliefs along scriptures arguing both sides.
1. Jesus Christ
Jehovah’s Witness: Jesus Christ is God’s son and a lesser god than the father in Heaven.
- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. – John 3:16.
- “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.” – John 14:28.
Christianity: Jesus is God in the flesh.
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. – John 1:1-4.
- And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. – 1 Timothy 3:6.
The verdict: Jesus Christ is a clone of God in the flesh in order to accomplish his missions on Earth. This is why Jesus Christ, being the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity, is called God’s only begotten son. Read more about this here: Why Jesus Christ is God and Jesus Christ: Son of God, God Himself, or Man?
Note to Jehovah’s Witness: Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world. – 1 John 4:1-3.
2. The Holy Spirit
Jehovah’s witness: The Holy Spirit is an active force of God. They believe he is not a person.
- Now the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. – Genesis 1:2.
- So he said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty. – Zechariah 4:6.
Christianity: The Holy Spirit is the 3rd person of the Holy Trinity or Triune.
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. – Matthew 28:19
- But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. – John 14:26
The verdict: The Holy Spirit is the 3rd person the Holy Trinity whom is the power of God. He can smell, see, taste, touch, and have emotions like us. It is dangerous to deny the Holy Spirit because Jesus Christ send him to be our comforter and helper. Read more about the Holy Spirit here: Who is the Holy Spirit?
3. Archangel Michael
Jehovah’s Witness: Archangel Michael is Jesus Christ in his heavenly role. Please read this article for why they believe this: Who is Michael the Archangel?
Christianity: Archangel Michael is one of God’s angels (Jude 1:9, Revelation 12:7).
The Verdict: Michael the archangel is one of the top angels. Both the Kingdom of God and the kingdom of darkness has a structure that is similar to the military. Paul explained this hierarchy in the spiritual world: principalities, powers, rulers, and spirits in high places (Ephesians 6:12). We know Archangel Michael is one of the top angels because:
1. His Title, Archangel, means head of angels.
2. His name, Michael, means Who is like God.
3. He was able to acquire the body of Moses by telling Satan, “The Lord rebuke you!” (Jude 1:9). Nobody else has this authority before the crucifixion of Jesus Christ to use God’s name to rebuke anything (Matthew 16:19).
4. He is called a prince and was able to save another angel from a principality demon, who is called the Prince of Persia (Daniel 10:6-13).
4. 144,000 Witnesses
Jehovah’s Witness: The 144,000 witnesses are the only people going to Heaven. Read this article on why they believe this: We Want to Go With You.
Christianity: The 144,000 witnesses are the Israel tribes that will be sealed at the end of the age.(Revelation 7:4).
The Verdict: The 144,000 is the Israel tribes around the world who are sealed by each tribe to stand next to Jesus Christ during his 2nd coming. They will be separated by others in Heaven by knowing a new song. Read more here: How Many People Will Be Going to Heaven?
5. Blood Transfusion
Jehovah’s Witness: Prohibits blood transfusion.
You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell. – Acts 15:29.
Christianity: Blood transfusions are allowed.
The Verdict: We are allowed to have blood transfusions. People who are having blood transfusions are trying to save their lives. The Bible makes it clear that the life is in the blood. Since life is in the blood we must not drink it (Deuteronomy 12:23). This is the same context Acts 15:29 is referring to. Many of Paul’s followers used to worship demons unknowingly. They would worship these demons by food sacrifice, sexual rituals, drink blood for powers, etc.
Jehovah’s Witness: Hell is a myth. When humans die, they are sleeping in Sheol or the grave realm until judgement day. On judgement day, the wicked cease to exist.
- Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. – Ecclesiastes 9:10.
- Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt. – Daniel 12:2.
Christianity: Hell is a place of everlasting torment. Humans either go to Hell or Heaven after they died until judgement day.
- For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment. – 2 Peter 2:4.
- Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. – Matthew 10:28.
The Verdict: Just like Heaven, Hell is a real place. Think of it as being held in prison until being trialed. After the trial which is judgement day, the wicked will transfer to the place prepared for Satan which is the Lake of Fire. Read more about how Hell is like here: Is Hell Real?
7. Faith Healing
Jehovah’s Witness: Does not practice faith healing and is weary of faith healers. Please read more here: Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Practice Faith Healing?
Christianity: Believe in faith healing. Practice faith healing in time of need.
The Verdict: Faith healing is encouraged in Christianity especially in this day and age. And without faith it is impossible to please God.. – Hebrews 11:6. Not only are people healed by the spirit of God, the Holy Spirit, but by their faith. If you don’t believe God can cure you from cancer, then you will remain in your state. Right now we’re in the beginning of the last revival where the spirit of God will pour on all flesh (Joel 2:28).