09 Feb Old Covenant vs New Covenant
Throughout the Bible there is a comparison between two covenants, the Old Covenant (before death of Christ) and New Covenant (after death of Christ). We will list the difference between these two covenant.
- Specific Group of People, Israelites
- Kill Animals to Atone for Sins Periodically (Deuteronomy, Leviticus)
- High Priest from Levite clan Appointed to be in the Holy of Holies of the temple to sprinkle animal blood on the mercy seat and to speak in Heavenly tongues (Leviticus 16:14-15, Ezekiel 43:18)
- Circumcision of Males As A Sign of Being In the Covenant (Romans 4:11, Genesis 17:11, Joshua 5:2, John 7:22, John 14:12, Exodus 4:24-25)
- Waited on the Messiah for Salvation (Zechariah 3:8, Isaiah 42:1, Isaiah 42:19, Luke 3:15, John 1:41)
- Purging Evil by Dietary, Sanitary and Stoning to Death (2 Corinthians 3:7)
- Everyone went to Sheol (Hell) which was separated between righteous and wickedness (Luke 16:23, Ecclesiastes 9:2-3, Matthew 12:39-40)
- Torah as Guide (Deuteronomy 8:3)
- Few people Had Spiritual Gifts of the Holy Spirit such as King David, Moses, Elijah, Deborah, Samson, etc.
- Quick to Condemn People of Sin and Stone Them (John 8:3-9, Numbers 15:32-36, John 8:59, Acts 7:59)
- The Average Person Did Not Have A Relationship with God
- Acquired the Promise Land (Israel)
- Anyone Who Believes & Follows Jesus Christ (John 10:14-16, John 3:29, John 3:18, Matthew 16:24, Philippians 1:29)
- Crucifixion of Jesus Christ cleanse Sins Continually Through His Blood (Revelation 12:11, 1 Peter 2:24)
- Jesus Christ Appointed as Our High Priest Forever in the Order of Melchizedek (Psalm 110:4-6, Hebrews 6:20)
- Baptism & Holy Spirit is A Sign of Being in the Covenant (Song of Solomon 4:12, John 3:5, Ephesians 4:30, Colossians 2:11-14, Romans 2:29, Revelation 22:17)
- Waiting for 2nd Return of Christ and the Millennial Reign (Mark 13:4, Revelation 20:4-5)
- Purging Evil by Spiritual Warfare, Deliverance, & Obedience (Mark 9:38-40, Matthew 12:43-44, Luke 13:32, Ephesians 6:12, Galatians 5:17, Galatians 6:8, Romans 8:5)
- The wicked are still sent to Sheol or Hell (Matthew 13:42, Matthew 25:30, Matthew 22:13, Matthew 24:51, Psalm 55:23) until they are sentenced to the Lake of Fire (Matthew 25:41, Isaiah 48:22, Revelation 20:15, Revelation 21:8). The righteous are sent to Heaven (John 14:1-4, Matthew 27:51-53, Revelation 7:9) until the old Earth is destroyed and the new Earth and Heaven are built (Revelation 21:1-2)
- Holy Spirit and the Bible as Our Guide (John 14:26, John 4:32, Matthew 4:4)
- Everyone who Yearns and Asks Jesus Christ can Receive Spiritual Gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 14:1, John 15:4-5)
- Showing Mercy by Encouraging People to not Sin because now we have grace [undeserved favor with God] (1 Thessalonians 2:12)
- Anyone Who Believes in Jesus Christ has a Relationship with God through the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 57:18, John 10:14-27, 1 Peter 2:25, John 14:26)
- Will Acquire the Promise Land (New Earth)
Is the Old Covenant Obsolete?
No it is not entirely obsolete. However we are not required to turn in sacrifice animals to high priests, circumcision or stone people for their sins because the crucifixion of Jesus Christ fulfilled this. This is why Jesus Christ states, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.” – Matthew 5:17.
Jesus Christ introduced two most important commandments which covers the 10 commandments: 1. Love God with all your Heart. 2. Love your neighbor as you love as yourself. So God’s commandments are not obsolete or the penalty of disobeying the law which is death. However there is grace that we have on this Earth because of the death of Jesus Christ, which is the first level of grace. That grace leaves us when we die. The second level of grace is when you develop your relationship with the Holy Spirit, and pursue to be like Jesus Christ.