Jesus told the Pharisees there are two important commandments which we must follow. These two are the only commandments we should keep in mind in order to live as a Christian. These two commandments crush the 10 commandments that God give Moses because these commandments doesn’t give you room to be sinful or evil. Even with practicing the 10 commandments Hebrews were still falling short of pleasing God due to lack of helping of the poor, pride, etc.
1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind – Matthew 22:37
In order to love God with all your heart you must seek his face, think about him, submit to him in all ways, etc. You must put God first in front of anybody and anything. This goes beyond the first 4 of the 10 commandments.
1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make idols and worship them.
3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
2. Love your neighbor as yourself. – Matthew 22:39
In order to be a upstanding Christian you must love people like you would yourself. Picture yourself in other people shoes or have compassion. This commandment goes beyond the last 5 of the 10 of the commandments.
5. Honor your father and mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet.
As you go out living your life examine everything you do. Just because you’re not a murderer doesn’t mean you’re doing right by God. Ask yourself, do you treat people as you wanted be treated? Do you put God first? We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. – 1 John 4:16.